Tuesday, November 3, 2015

10 Years Ago....Double Digits!!!!

I write this annually to remind us of our story. To remind us of the great big God we serve. And of one amazing boy's story!

Just a warning.....you may want to have tissues readily available before reading this.  It is a little lengthy, but well worth the time to read!

Here is what happened 10 years ago (yesterday and today).

Ten years ago yesterday, it was a Wed. night and I went to the hospital to be observed because my blood pressure was really high. So, since I had an appt. on Thursday for an NST (non-stress test) and to see the dr. at 10 and 10:50 am. they sent me home.

On November 3rd, I was hooked up to the NST machine and things were fine. The baby’s heart rate wasn’t doing a whole of lot of reacting when they were moving, but still fine. Then all of a sudden the heart rate drops off. I thought the baby had moved. So, I waited and no one came. You see the NST room is in the back of the office where no one is and I get forgotten about. I tried moving it around and finally decided to go find a nurse asst. She came back in and couldn’t find it. She got another nurse asst. and she couldn’t find it. They got the Doppler, still couldn’t find it.

They take me up front to see the doctor. She gets out the Doppler and can’t find the heart rate. She brings the ultrasound machine into the room and calls the other doctor into the room. Of course by now I am crying. The other doctor came in the room. They were trying to whisper over my head. Then I am not sure if they could find the heartbeat or not, finally they did and began counting. The heart rate what I know now was in the 70’s.

By now they are calling 911. I had to get my cell phone and call P and my mom. P was taking M to the doctors because she was so sick. I had to track him down in the waiting room and to have them tell him to come because they were rushing me to the hospital by ambulance. Then I remembered to call back (even in the midst of craziness) to tell them I wasn’t going to the hospital we had planned on but to the one closest to my doctor’s office.

They called 911. They put me in an ambulance and we had a police escort to the hospital. I found out later that my blood pressure in the ambulance was 200/150 or 200/100. I've heard conflicting stories. Either way, way too high and in God's protection from a stroke I'm sure!!

I got to the hospital at approximately 12:00 pm and our baby BOY was born at 12:10 pm. He was born on Thursday, November 3rd at 12:10 pm. He weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. and was 19 inches long. He has a head full of dark hair with natural highlights!

When the doctor came out to inform P & M the baby had been born, she had hugged M and said you have a beautiful baby brother (we didn't know what we were having), then she hugged P and began to cry and kept saying "I can't get it out". In that moment P thought I had passed away. But, she was just so overwhelmed by the entire events of the day that she had to relieve some of the stress. And we'll, she's a woman too.

God was there with us that day. He protected L from all the harm that could have come to him. He protected me throughout the surgery and in the ambulance where my blood pressure was extremely high.

That's what happened 10 years ago.

Even on the bad days when ASD is in high doses in our house, we can easily recall the events of this day and remember that L could EASILY not be here.  Or he could have cerebral palsy.  Or many other things could have went wrong that day.

L, you are the funniest, smartest, sweetest, cutest boy I know!!  And yes, to quote anything you memorize (lately the Christmas program) but just a little reminder from the Veggie Tales God made you special and He loves you very much.  And so do we!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment